What is counselling? Importance of counselling:
We live in an increasingly diverse society. Though psychology has traversed a long distance in India, lack of direction has cast doubts about the application of psychology in the context of rapidly changing socio-economic scenario. The term counseling means handling the emotional, social, work, school and physical health concerns people may have at different stages in their lives, focusing on typical life stresses and more severe issues with which people may struggle as individuals and as a part of families, groups and organizations. Counseling is not just providing advice however it is a way to help people find a way to solve their problems.
Why is it important to have a counseling cell in the school? The breaking down of stigma and misconceptions about mental illness has to start in schools. The use of student guidance programs in schools are steadily on increase. As more and more schools become organized around the concept of growth and development, the services which assist the student in making the best adjustment to the situation necessarily increase. In our schools, it is important to monitor the mental health of both teachers and students. It is also important that the process is about helping you to find ways to deal with your problems, rather than giving advice or telling you what to do. Thus, counseling is the process that occurs when a child and counselor sets aside time to explore difficulties which may include the stressful or emotional feelings of the child. It is the act of helping the child to see things more clearly, possibly from a different point of view. This can enable the children to focus on feelings, experiences or behaviors, with a goal of facilitating positive change.
A relationship of trust is extremely important in the process of counseling. Confidentiality is paramount to successful counseling. Professional counselors will usually explain their policy on confidentiality. They may, however, be required by law to disclose information if they believe that there is a risk to life.
What we do at The Gaudium School:
- The team of counselors and special educators often help special needs students integrate into classrooms and may oversee programs that address requirements for students with special needs or learning difficulties.
- The learning diversities/Counselling department uses an integrated approach where the team conducts individual sessions as well as classroom sessions, in order to make the learning more effective.
- School counsellors often help students mediate conflicts with their peers, teachers, or parents.
- The counsellor is also involved in conducting group awareness sessions for the students of all the grades on different topics such as goal setting, bullying, effective communication etc.
- They may also provide referrals, recommendations, and education to parents about mental health concerns.
Thus, a team of mental health professionals in school can help create a safe environment for students to find their path to a successful life.